The following information was updated in the Lab Catalog.
• Varicella Zoster Virus (VZV) PCR, Swab [LAB1230844] More Information
• BRAF Gene Fusion [LAB1230852]
• Acid Fast Bacilli (AFB) Culture with smear [LAB8770] ESwab collection updated: 3. When an ESwab is submitted for the culture of mycobacteria, a disclaimer will be included with the report to indicate the inadequacy of swab specimens: “The sensitivity of this culture for the recovery of mycobacteria may be reduced because a swab was submitted, which often provides an inadequate collection. Fresh tissue or body fluids are preferred specimen types.”
• Blood Culture, Peripheral [LAB462] and Blood Culture, Central Line [LAB2111529] was updated to match collection instructions in Policy #9953
• Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Quantitative, PCR, Blood/Plasma [LAB9130] Clinical Information field was updated.
• Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) Quantitative, PCR, DNA [LAB3407] Clinical Information field was updated.
• Lactoferrin, Fecal [LAB3647] Important Note added: “Fecal samples from breast fed infants should not be used with this assay. Breast milk contains levels of lactoferrin that may be detected in breastfeeding infant’s stool convoluting the clinical relevance of test results for inflammatory bowel disorders.”
• TB Screen (QuantiFERON Gold Plus) [LAB3619] – Container image updated and 4-tube instructions removed.
• Varicella Zoster PCR, Various – Important Note added: “For swab specimens, please see in-house PCR test Varicella Zoster Virus (VZV) PCR, Swab.”
• Viral Culture [LAB254] – Clinical information field was updated. Important note was updated “For cutaneous or mucocutaneous lesion specimens (genital, oral, skin), please order molecular HSV PCR and/or VZV PCR as the preferred diagnostic methods.”
• Cystic Fibrosis Carrier Screen[LAB2111368] Recommended replacement test: Cystic Fibrosis Mutation Analysis 106-Mutation Panel [LAB1230853] to Mayo Clinic Labs. More Information
• MTHFR C677T [LAB7390] – no replacement test. More Information
• Blue Citrate Tube Collection: IV Line draw “the drawn off portion of the blood following flushing should not be used for coag testing”
February EMR/LIS (eSHare or Interface) Updates:
The following lab tests have updated information for interfaced clients (non-Spectrum Health or Independent offices) with Spectrum Health Laboratories. If you did not receive the file definition via email, please contact your vendor, the PRAS Team or use the Contact Us link above.
Format= Change type: Test Name [Interface Code] Additional Information
Discontinued: Rubella IgG Ab Quantitative  – Replace with Rubella IgG Ab Quantitative  with New Result Alias Rubella IgG Antibody 
Remove: Old result component Bands Body Fluid 
Update: ALT  – Remove 20023 Alanine Aminotransferase and add 1230660 ALT w/P5P
Update: AST  – Remove 20039 AST and add 1230659 AST w/P5P
Discontinued: Cystic Fibrosis Carrier Screen  – Replace with Cystic Fibrosis Mutation Panel 
All specimen collection updates