There is currently a national shortage of sodium citrate (“blue top”) blood collection tubes used for coagulation testing as a result of unprecedented demand, in part due to COVID-19 surges, vaccine and treatment development. This is anticipated to last through August 2021. Please take this into consideration when ordering coagulation testing (i.e. Protime, aPTT, Fibrinogen, D-dimer, Lupus Screens, Factor Assays, Mixing Studies, von Willebrand testing, etc.).
Here are additional steps you can take to help:
• Eliminate collection of extra blue top tubes
• Discontinue standing orders for coagulation tests, when possible
• Avoid the use of coagulation tubes as discard tubes
• Please refrain from ordering Lupus Screens ( LAB478) when patients are actively taking non vitamin K antagonists, including apixaban, dabigatran, and rivaroxaban. They have a significant impact on clot-based coagulation testing. It is best to carry these tests out prior to drug administration or during a trough setting.
• Reduce cancelled specimens by making sure to collect specimens correctly by using the lab catalog for specimen collection instructions.
Thank you for your help during this exceptional time.
If you have any questions or concerns, please use the “Contact Us” link above.