Follow these steps for loading your outdoor lockbox during the summer months to prevent overheating of refrigerated and ambient specimens:
1. Place a frozen cool pack in the bottom of the lockbox.
2. Layer 3 – 4 paper towels over the cool pack for insulation.
3. Place refrigerated temperature specimens on top of the paper towels.
4. Layer 3 – 4 paper towels over the refrigerated specimens for insulation.
5. Place ambient temperature specimens on top of the paper towels.
Frozen specimen should not be left in the lockbox for after-hours pickup. These tests may be better preserved in the office freezer until the next day’s courier pickup.
Spectrum Health Laboratory is committed to specimen integrity. The specimen transport integrity guide is available in the online test catalog. If you have further questions please contact Laboratory Services at 616.774.7721.